On 3 July 2018, the Unilever Food Solutions (UFS) Chefmanship Centre played host to 30 F&B operators from across Singapore at Trendwatch 2018. In collaboration with MONIN, this event set out to provide participants with inspiration for creating (or improving) an afternoon tea menu. The event kicked off with market and product-related insights that intrigued the day’s participants, before moving on to the highlight of the day – creative ideas for mixing up wickedly tantalising tea cocktails!
Participants were thirsty for inspiration, and the cocktail mixologists delivered as promised – sharing 7 of their most popular mixes (and the recipes) with the group. This menu of tea cocktails was chosen for its exciting mix of colours and flavours.
- Peach Mojito Lemonade made with Knorr Lime Flavoured Powder and MONIN Syrup – Peach, Wild Mint.
- TexMex made with Sir Thomas Lipton Earl Grey Black Tea and MONIN Syrup – Agava, Pineapple Fruit Mix.
- Falernum No. 9 made with Sir Thomas Lipton Green Tea with Jasmine and MONIN Syrup – Lychee, Falernum.
- Oriental Blossom made with Sir Thomas Lipton Chamomile Infusion and MONIN Syrup – Osmanthus, Yuzu Fruit Mix.
- Salted Egg Caramel Frappe made with Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder and MONIN Caramel Sauce.
- Salted Egg Speculoos Frappe made with Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder and MONIN Speculoos Syrup.
- Summer Melon Tea made with Sir Thomas Lipton Earl Grey Black Tea.
Best of all, as the session’s mixologists demonstrated, all the cocktails are incredibly easy to create (with just a little help from the Sir Thomas Lipton premium tea range and MONIN’s syrup).
Participants loved the exotic infusions, with the crowd favourite being the Salted Egg Caramel Frappe – a sweet, salty, creamy and absolutely heavenly concoction made with Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder and MONIN Caramel Syrup.
An afternoon of inspiration
Participants were enthusiastic with their questions, which the expert mixologists were eager to answer. Beyond the 7 recipes, the session’s mixologists also shared their insights on drink-mixing techniques, flavour combinations, and recommendations on tea pairings that appeal to diners.
These tips certainly gave participants lots of exciting ideas to think about when planning their own afternoon tea menus – such as how to adapt the day’s recipes to create their own brews, or ideas for creating pairings that would best complement their signature dishes.
Ideas for food pairings
After the lively cocktail session, participants were treated to an array of delectable teatime bites. Both sweet and savoury dishes were presented, giving participants even more inspiration for creating their own teatime offerings. These included:
- Lobster Salad, Marinated Melons & “Mojito” Dressing on Yam Basket made with Knorr Lime Flavoured Powder and Best Foods Real Mayonnaise.
- Curry Chicken with Aerated Potato made with Knorr Mashed Potato.
- Escargot & Mushroom in Savoury Tart Shell made with Knorr Italian Herb Paste and Knorr Cream of Mushroom Soup (Choice Recipe).
- Tandoori Chicken with Homemade Raita made with Knorr SEA Spice Paste, Knorr Rendang Paste, Knorr Tomato Paste and Best Foods Real Mayonnaise.
- Salted Egg Spring Roll made with Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder.
- Earl Grey Flan with Granola Nuts & Poach Pear made with Carte D’or Vanilla Flan Mix and STL Earl Grey Black Tea.
- Salted Egg Cookies made with Knorr Golden Salted Egg Powder.
Hear what participants had to say
John Jovan, Banquet Operation Manager, Royal Plaza on Scotts:
“The cocktail mixing presentation was entertaining, with the live demonstrations and tasting sessions making it even better. I particularly enjoyed the Salted Egg Speculoos Frappe and believe it’ll be a popular treat among children. The Lobster Salad, Marinated Melons & “Mojito” Dressing on Yam Basket dish are perfect choices for afternoon tea, as they’re savoury, light and visually appealing.
I was also very impressed by the Lipton and MONIN displays, and may adapt some of the layout ideas for our own afternoon tea set up.”
May Png, Procurement Manager, NTUC Foodfare:
“This afternoon provided our team with a good chance to network and learn new things. I really enjoyed the live cocktail mixing demonstration. My favourite was the refreshing Peach Mojito Lemonade!
I’ve also got to credit the chefs on the dishes, which were exquisitely and meticulously prepared. If the theme of the next session fits our business, I’ll definitely be attending.”
Rei Lai, Procurement Executive, Ya Kun Kaya Toast:
“The session was very informative, and I’ve picked up several good ideas today which we may adapt to our menu. Among the tea cocktails, the Peach Mojito Lemonade was my favourite.
For the food, I really enjoyed the Lobster Salad, Marinated Melons & “Mojito” Dressing on Yam Basket and the Earl Grey Flan with Granola Nuts & Poach Pear. I look forward to attending your next event.”